You may already generously support charitable organisations, or you may be thinking about how best to do so.
Our partnership with The Gift Trust https://thegifttrust.org.nz/ enables you to make a greater difference to your favourite charities or causes.
The Gift Trust works like a savings account for your charitable donations. You set up the account on our custodial platform that sits alongside your other investment accounts.
The reason for using The Gift Trust is that it provides you with the following benefits:
- The Gift Trust is registered as a charity and all contributions to The Gift Trust count as immediate tax-deductible donations and are therefore irrevocable.
- All contributions to The Gift Trust grow tax free, a benefit worth approximately 1.37% per annum in enhanced returns based on a donor with a marginal tax rate of 33%.
- You can see your Gift Trust account alongside your normal account when you log into the custodial platform and we can easily report on it for you when we meet.
- We can decide together how to invest the money held in The Gift Trust according to both your desire for the money and your potential future gifts to grow and the underlying time horizon associated with the money.
- You can decide at any point which ultimate organisation(s) you want to give to, when you want to give and how much you want to give. The Gift Trust will undertake the due diligence and process the gift on your behalf.
- The donation can be processed anonymously, meaning that the organisation won’t know it’s you who donated, and will not bother you for more donations in the future if you prefer to give to other causes. Alternatively, The Gift Trust can make the donation in your name if you prefer.
- Prior to the donation, for a small additional fee, you can request that The Gift Trust research the organisations or charitable causes you are interested in and those which will allow you to make the greatest possible impact.